Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Guilty as charged. I've been AWOL for a few days, but I gotta tell you; it's tough holdin' down a full time job and sneaking in time to feed my passion.
Apparently I've missed out on all the latest Big East coaching staff movement. Jim Leavitt at USF is out another coordinator now that long time assistant Wally Burnham is moving on to Iowa State. Star Bull d-lineman George Selvie is beside himself following Burnham's decision to bolt for Aimes. To make matters worse, it looks like yet another defensive assistant in Troy Douglas, will be moving on to coach defensive backs at UNC with Butch Davis.
In regards to above, I can't say that I'm all that surprised that this is occurring. Part of the draw for Burnham to join Paul Rhoads at Iowa State, is to have the opportunity to coach alongside his son, who currently coaches at Elon, but will now coach the Cyclones' D-line. That being said, if Douglas announced his departure first, it might have opened a spot for Burnham's son to join Leavitt's staff in Tampa, thus keeping Burnham around for a while longer. That didn't happen though, so Leavitt is left to fill vacancies for his two coordinators and a defensive backs coaching positions. The good news? USF's schedule is complete with a second D-1AA team on the docket for 2009.
- The folks at Bleed Scarlet are not fans of the idea of Rutgers playing two D-1AA opponents in 2009
- Chas at Pitt Blather opines on the O-Coordinator opening at Pitt
- Chuck Bednar thinks LeSean McCoy may be helping Brian Westbrook out in the Eagles' backfield next year
- Rutgers O-Coordinator John McNulty is apparently being looked at to join the Arizona Cardinals' staff (Tom Luicci / Newark Star-Ledger)
- Brian Bennett of ESPN's Big East Blog discusses the conference's under-the-radar successes
- Doug Marrone rounds out his staff with long-time NFL assistant Bob Casullo ...
- ...meanwhile, he hasn't heard from hot prospect David Oku yet