Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Randy Edsall and the UCONN Huskies are on something of a roll as of this weekend. You first heard about running back Martin Hyppolite ending his recruitment by giving his verbal commitment to Edsall. After being radio-silent for several weeks following the departure of offensive coordinator Rob Ambrose to Towson State, we now know that Edsall went out and hired Akron Zips offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Joe Moorhead (pictured left; courtesy of Gozips.com).
Here's Moorhead's official bio from the Akron athletics website, but the following is the skinny on him:
- Started at quarterback for three years at his alma mater, Fordham
- Had a stint as a graduate assistant under Walt Harris at Pitt
- Spent time as an offensive coordinator, among other things, at Georgetown
- Has been a quarterback and receivers coach, as well as offensive coordinator at Akron for the past five years
- The Zips were 40th in total offense this season, with a 5-7 record
- Two notable players that Moorehead had a hand in developing: New York Giants wide receiver Domenik Hixon and Cleveland Browns quarterback Charlie Frye
The above sounds like a nice, albeit less than overwhelming resume. That being said, it's not as if Rob Ambrose's reputation preceded him prior to him coming on board at UCONN. If Randy Edsall trusts Moorhead, and if Moorhead can continue the development of the UCONN offense along with quarterbacks Cody Endres and Zach Frazier, then this could be a very fruitful partnership.
Randy also managed to nab two more recruits whilst hiring his new OC:
Finally, here are a couple of more unrelated links for your reading pleasure: