Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Apologies, I intended to be consistent about posting the standings for conferences this bowl season, but I forgot to provide an updated table this morning. You accept my apology? Thanks! Here are the goods so far, with five bowls being played today, including the Brut Sun Bowl (Pitt vs. Oregon State):
Big East 3-0
Pac 10 3-0
Big 12 1-1
Sun Belt 1-1
Big 10 0-2
Some observations on the above:
- You've got to be impressed with the PAC 10 (especially after the way Oregon dispatched of OK State last night). They're another BCS conference that is constantly berated for being a perceived slouch, but the proof is always in the pudding (as it is for the Big East), during bowl season.
- While watching the Roady's Humanitarian Bowl last night (good stuff, I know) ESPN displayed their updated standings (prior to Maryland winning the game). They took it off the screen pretty quickly, but I could have swore that they had the ACC at 2-2 at that point, which was wrong (should have been 2-3). Another gaffe by the research (or graphics) department at ESPN -- no surprise there. I do however, like that they lauded the Big East's 3-0 start.
- The WAC is wack.
While I'm here, I'll dump some more links on you:
- The fine gentlemen of Pigskinheaven.com are predicting an Orange Bowl victory for the Bearcats
- Chas at Pitt Blather thinks Oregon State fans/media should suck it up and enjoy the Brut Sun Bowl experience
- Syracuse hires Tennessee's VanDerzee as Director of Football Operations (h/t to Sean @ TNIAAM for breaking the story yesterday)
- Some in Syracuse want to start kickin' it old school
- Andrew Weaver discusses Schiano's pizza making, er, football program building skills on the Bleacher Report